Things are heating up in Perth, and with the temperature rising there’s never been a better time to get out and explore some of the best events, places and food the city has on offer.
- Cram as many Fringe World shows as you can into a few short weeks from 20 January to 19 February. Start planning your Fringe Binge now!
- Pop by The Little Cheese shop to pick up a few goodies to create the perfect cheese platter, best enjoyed outdoors with a glass of wine.
- Stay up late and then head to the heart of Leederville for an alcoholic donut from MOP Donuts – they’re open 24/7.
- Take Friday off and road trip to Margaret River for a long-weekend getaway.
- Douse yourself in sunscreen and head to one of the city’s many beautiful beaches – Scarborough, Trigg or City Beach will do nicely.
- Treat yourself to a feel-good meal at Annalakshmi then take a walk around Elizabeth Quay and finish the night off with a scoop of mouth-watering gelato from Gusto Gelato.
- Enjoy a leisurely Sunday drive to explore the Perth hills – I’m thinking the Mundaring Weir, Lesmurdie Falls, John Forrest National Park and Lake Leschenaultia.
- Take your pooch out for a fancy treat at Pet Lover’s Café in Maylands.
- Splash around with the sting rays at Hamelin Bay.
- Feast on some of the best vegetarian burgers available in this fair city.
- Spend a sunny day in the Swan Valley tasting the wines, beers, spirits, cheese and fresh produce the region is famous for.
- Pack your appetite for a stroll along the Inglewood on Beaufort night markets every Monday night – from fresh popcorn, cronuts and S-cone one-handed scones, to empanadas, sweet potato fries, gozleme, banh mi and more, it’s the best foodie event on the Beaufort strip.
- Catch a movie from the lofty heights of Rooftop Movies and enjoy a glass of wine and some candy while you’re there.
- Feast on all of the smoothie bowls your body can handle – hit up Holly Raye’s, Flora & Fauna, Health Freak Cafe, Pixel Coffee Brewers, Bowl’n or The Market Juicery.
- Enjoy a drink at one of the city’s atmospheric hidden bars – Sneaky Tony’s, The Jazz Cellar, Joe’s Juice Joint or Alabama Song.
- Recover from a big night out with a fresh, clean and delicious meal from one of the many Health Freak Cafes around the city, then balance it out with some of the city’s best cake from Sherbet Cafe & Bake Shop.
- Check out some of the incredible street art that has popped up in recent years – head to @perthstart to get started.
- Watch the sunset over Scarborough beach with a glass of wine in hand during Sunset Wine, 18 & 19 February.
- Embrace pants-off Friday and hide inside with an icy pole during the inevitable 40-degree heatwave.
- Head to a farmer’s market, load up on fresh produce and prove you really can make friends with a damn good salad.
- Grab your mates and an inflatable pool and throw a kickass Hottest 100 party on 26 January.
- Catch a world-class, cutting edge performance during the Perth International Arts Festival, 10 February to 5 March.
- Get your camera ready to snap some shots at the annual outdoor exhibition Sculpture by the Sea in Cottesloe.
- Spend an evening gazing at the stars at the Perth Observatory in Bickley.
- Get your groove on at one of the many upcoming gigs featuring home-grown and international artists, like PJ Harvey and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds in January or Kate Miller Heidke and the West Australian Symphony Orchestra in March.
- Succumb to your sugar cravings at the De Lish Dessert, Coffee and Gourmet Food Expo at Crown Perth on 22 January.
- Grab an armful of snacks and settle in for a Netflix binge – Orange is the New Black, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Master of None, House of Cards and Stranger Things are all worth the hype, but you know that secretly you want to work your way through The Vampire Diaries and Gossip Girl.
- Spend a lazy afternoon eating cheese and drinking pink wine at The Cheese Barrel in the Swan Valley.
- Support local businesses by shopping up a storm at Granite Lane, The Tasty Pear, Daisy & Rowe and Angove Street Collective.
- Brighten up your home by ordering a bunch of gorgeous blooms – try The Little Posy Co, The Flower Run, Merry Maker & Co or Little Blossoms Perth.
What are your favourite things to do in Perth during summer?
Follow me for more: